11 Jan Car Theft Prevention
Thieves are stealing cars at an alarming rate all around us, sixty cars in Tulsa in the first four days of 2017! And Tulsa is a safe, medium sized city, a fraction the size of the DFW metroplex! And in some cases, we are practically handing over the keys.
In the winter, no one likes getting into a car that could double as a deep freezer, so sometimes drivers leave their cars running and unlocked to avoid that ‐ but it might be better to brave the cold. Not only is it risky, but in some areas it is also illegal to leave your car unattended and running (unless it is in your driveway).
Here are some reminders to prevent auto theft:
- Do not leave your vehicle running due to the heat or cold. Thieves watch for this at homes, stores, the post office, and ATM’s. Leaving a vehicle running and unattended is also often against the law and can earn you a ticket!
- Never leave keys inside your vehicle or motorcycle.
- ALWAYS roll up your windows and lock your doors. Do not hide a second key in your vehicle or in a magnetic box under the vehicle. These are located very easily.
- Secure any valuables inside your vehicle OUT OF SIGHT! If you are on a motorcycle, take your helmet with you.
- NEVER LEAVE THE TITLE IN THE GLOVE BOX!!! Keep it at home or in a safe deposit box. Thieves forge owners’ names and sell stolen cars. Some cases have resulted with an Oklahoma tag office actually retitling a stolen vehicle to the thief!
- When buying a vehicle from an individual, make certain the title matches the name of the person attempting to sell you the vehicle. ASK to see a driver license. If they refuse, then DO NOT BUY the vehicle. If it appears too good to be true, then it usually is!
- Never let someone test drive your vehicle without you going along. DO NOT give them the keys until you are seated in the car!
- DO NOT leave your vehicle unattended on private property without the property owner’s permission. Vehicles are subject to being towed and incurring storage fees.
- DO NOT leave your vehicle on the side of the road if you encounter mechanical trouble. HAVE YOUR VEHICLE TOWED! It takes thieves approximately 20 seconds to steal these abandoned vehicles!
- If you cannot afford to be without your vehicle. DO NOT LEND IT TO SOMEONE!!