23 Nov Holiday Cooking – Cease the Grease
Posted at 19:19h in Safety
- Fats, oils, and grease (FOG) come from meats, butters and margarine, lard, food scraps, sauces, salad dressings, dairy products and cooking oil.
- When FOG goes down the drain, it hardens and causes sewer pipes to clog.
- Sewage can back up into your home, lawn, neighborhood and can be expensive to fix!
- Wipe pans clean and throw paper towel in the trash
- Scrape off excess food and food scraps in the trash before rinsing in the sink
- Put oil and grease in covered collection containers
- Don’t rinse off oil and grease with hot water
- Don’t put food scraps down the drain
How can you help? Recycle your grease!
- The city of Dallas has come up with a website to help educate and coordinate recycling efforts for North Texas.
- Find locations to drop off your grease for recycling into biogas to create electricity.