08 May International Roadcheck 2017
International Roadcheck will take place June 6-8, 2017
International Roadcheck is an annual three-day event in which CVSA-certified inspectors conduct compliance, enforcement and educational initiatives targeted at various elements of motor carrier, vehicle and driver safety. This year marks the 30th year for this roadside safety campaign. The primary focus will be on cargo securement.
Cargo Securement Tips:
- Know the cargo securement requirements for the type of commodity you haul.
- Properly secure your load as well as all tools and equipment.
- Inspect tie-downs for wear and damage.
- Always make sure your load is properly contained so that it cannot leak, spill, blow off, fall from the vehicle, or shift upon or within the vehicle to such an extent that the vehicle’s stability is affected. Loads that shift can not only cause crashes but can damage your equipment.
Watch for the top load securement violations:
- Failure to prevent shifting/loss of load
- Failure to secure truck equipment (tarps, dunnage, tailgates, spare tires, etc.)
- Damaged tie-downs (unacceptable wear on chains or cuts and tears on web straps)
- Insufficient tie-downs
- Loose tie down
Check your equipment now. Clean out the beds of your trucks, make sure you have the proper securement device for what you are hauling. Make sure you are not a target for a roadside inspection. Remember if you are chosen, you can and most likely will get a full inspection of truck, trailer and driver so be prepared and have your equipment ready. Let’s make Roadcheck 2017 a violation-free event for all PLH Companies.