PLH GROUP NEWS
PLH Group Maintains its Commitment to Workplace Health
Date: April 1, 2021
PLH Group’s focus on collaborative energy ensures customers receive comprehensive energy solutions rooted in seamless alignment and quality performance while maintaining jobsite health and safety.
Sponsored by the American Public Health Association, National Public Health Week (NPHW) has been celebrated the first full week of April for the past 25 years. Organizations and individuals across the United States take this week to celebrate and recognize contributions and issues concerning public health. It is no surprise that the 2021 NPHW will not only use a virtual platform, but will also recognize and discuss issues surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic. As PLH Group recognizes NPHW, the organization will also celebrate its values and commitment to workplace health and safety.
The COVID-19 pandemic has strengthened health and safety practices throughout all industries, including the construction industry. PLH Group jobsites were no exclusion.
As an industry leader in energy-focused construction work, PLH Group places significant emphasis on worker health and safety.
Despite the impacts of the pandemic, the organization continued its commitment to keep all employees, subcontractors, visitors, and community members safe by emphasizing company values and its commitment to workplace health and safety, including:
- Safety – Safety, which includes the health of all employees and subcontractors, is a leading PLH Group value. The organization believes that all health and safety precautions must be considered prior to the start of work. These hazards and preventative measures are identified and discussed through training, morning meetings, job hazard analyses (JHAs), and jobsite safety audits. Additionally, all employees are required to follow STAR (Stop. Think. Act. Review.) and are given Stop Work Authority to stop any task that seems unsafe.
- Teamwork – PLH Group employees and subcontractors are dedicated to the health and safety of each other. Through JHAs, situational awareness, and appropriately wearing the correct PPE, workers proactively combat hazards and changing work environments.
- Efficiency – The global pandemic emphasized the importance of developing and executing efficient work processes and practices, which have been a routine approach within PLH Group business units through the use of the PREVENT system. PREVENT, a collection of tools designed to integrate safe work practices into every step of the task, puts visual and practical teaching tools into the hands of every employee that can be viewed by personnel anywhere, at any time. The program encourages a questioning attitude and allows employees to provide functional solutions to situations encountered during task execution.
- Integration – PLH Group offers customers a unique advantage with their comprehensive energy construction services throughout all business units. Additionally, all departments – from those focused on sales, project management, and procurement, through construction and operations – are actively involved in customer projects, providing seamless alignment between companies, departments, and subcontractors. This ensures not only quality work, but also health and safety throughout the jobsite.
- Communication – Communication is a crucial element of a safe workforce – especially during times of change and increased stress. PLH Group ensures strong, concise communication throughout all stages of the project, despite some employees working remotely or on staggered schedules, when needed.The organization practices Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommendations for in-person meetings, and utilizes technology for remote conversations.
Though workplace health and safety have been put to the test over the course of the past 13 months, PLH Group has risen to the challenge to strengthen its already rigorous dedication to company values and workplace health. The organization has taken this opportunity to emphasize its commitment to the health and safety of those in PLH Group business unit offices, throughout its jobsites, and within the communities it serves.